Wednesday, December 16, 2015

How To Survive Your First Semester of Freshman Year in College




So I recently just survived probably one of the hardest parts of college for a new kid. The first semester of college, or as I like to call it, Crash Course in How To Be A Grownup. You move away from home and take more than twelve credit hours because you think that it can't be THAT different from high school. Right? Well, after my experience, I am going to tell you how to do better than I did my first semester of college.


1. Try to take between 12 and 15 credit hours, no more, no less. 


I took 15 credit hours for my scholarship, and I was afraid of the classes I was taking, but at the same time, I was in classes I actually wanted to take. So, I figured that I would be alright. I did come out better than expected, but I also came out worse than I expected too. The difference between high school and college classes is that the classes are only a semester now and that means the professors need to cover a lot in a short amount of time. You are going to feel like you are drowning in homework and if you're like me, there may be a few break downs in the bathroom at school. Just know that if you really work hard and get the free help they are providing (seriously, take advantage of that, make those people annoyed with how much you are there), you will be okay. Also, remember that any damage you do first semester is expected and it can be fixed.

2. Plan your meals. 


No I am not kidding. When I didn't plan my meals, I grazed and grazing is bad. You grab whatever is readily available and that usually is not healthy. If you are trying to not gain the freshman 15 everyone talks about, plan your meals. Plan your snacks too. The more you plan, the less grocery store runs, the less money spent, and the healthier you will be. Nuff said.


3. Planners are your savior. 


I bought the Kate Spade 2016 planner. It covers the rest of 2015, all of 2016, and even a bit of 2017. It is super nice, very organized, and has enough room for jotting down things. I had a coupon so I got it for $25, but it's normally $30. Even if you don't get that one, Walmart and Target have cheap, inexpensive planners to keep you organized. Write your goals in the front for that year. When you get an assignment, immediately pull out your planner and write it down. That way you won't forget what needs to get done and when it needs to happen. Don't slack near the end of semester like I started to. If you write everything down, you won't miss a thing and that is less stress. Who wants less stress? Me! I put pictures of my planner I use below with links to the actual planner if you are interested. Note that the inside view below on the planner I use has a plain baby pink color, not gold dots.
 


4. Get supplies that has a color code for each class. 


So I didn't need any binders. In my opinion, those are too bulky and the less weight the better. So I just bought folders for all my classes. What I mean by color code is this. For your Biology class, get a green folder and notebook to match your green textbook. You feel? That way, if you are running late for a class, all you have to do is look for the matching colors in your room and run out the door.


5. Last, just breath. Everything will work out. 

Really, now that I am at the other end of things and I am having panic attacks about my GPA and all that fun stuff, the most important thing to remember is this. You did the best you could with the knowlege you had and yes you may have to work harder than ever next semester, but in the end, everything will work out how it needs to. Just do your best. Also, if you are like me and still don't know what you want to major in, that is okay. Not everyone knows. Some people that think they know change their mind. Just take your time, explore your options, work hard, and you will figure it out eventurally.

Do you have any other tips on surviving? Comment below! Also check out these articles that were my inspiriation and also helped me!

Gen Twenty-5 Tips for Coping with College Stress
http://gentwenty.com/coping-with-college-related-stress/

Your Serve Trip-How To Deal With Anxiety in College
http://www.yourservetrip.com/anxiety-in-college/

Prep of the South-Planner Organization
http://www.prepofthesouth.com/how-to-organize-a-planner/

Student Advisor- 5 Things to Know about the Transition from High School to College
http://www.studentadvisor.com/articles/5-things-to-know-about-the-transition-from-high-school-to-college






No comments:

Post a Comment