Sunday, June 7, 2015

Vulnerability and Nirvana

Ok so I was watching some TED Talks from a list I found on Pinterest. It was the top 15 TED Talks that will change your life. Let me tell you, I've ou watched two and can completely say that in the past 45 minutes, my perspective on life has changed. Let me share with you my transformation.



I listened to these talks that had a similar theme. Letting go, being unapologetically you, and probably most terrifyingly, being vulnerable. I want to dissect these phrases.



So first, what is letting go? What exactly do I let go of? Now, if you are singing the song from Frozen, let's laugh for a sec.... Ok now let's grow up. ;) But really, maybe Elsa wasn't that wrong? Here is what I mean. We hold on to EVERYTHING. You know I'm right. Most frustrating about that is we remember every detail of every bad thing we have done. When something comes up that resurfaces one of those bad memories, we cringe, swallow, and maybe continue along with whatever we were just doing as if we didn't just remember the most humiliating things we have done. We are prisoners of our pasts. We let that define who we are and tell us what we are and aren't allowed to have in life. Look guys, I'm as guilty of this as anybody, but we can not let our past tell us who to be. It does not define us. Does that make us who we are? Well, sure, we definitely learned from that experience and hopefully won't repeat it, but I think one of Satan's greatest tools is our past that we would rather bury. The only way to escape is to LET IT GO! Easier said than done, I know, but it is the simple, small steps of dropping those shameful things one tiny piece at a time, and one day you can find that you are good. What I have found most effective is meditation. You attempt to find that place in your mind where you are aware, but you hear nothing. You simply are. You just be. You don't have to do or be anything. It is such a liberating exercise and I believe that in practicing meditation, you one day will find Nirvana. Peace. That is how you let it go.

Next, and if you don't mind my going out of order, vulnerability. There is such a negative vibe to that word, don't you think? Well let me tell you that it is most definitely not negative. The TED Talk I watched discussed vulnerability. This woman studied vulnerability. What she found is mind blowing and so obvious I felt stupid not noticing it before. People who let themselves be vulnerable... are content. They are okay with the uncertainty. They hope for the best. The dive in. No regrets. Probably a lot of sad stories, but regret? Why would you regret something you would have wondered about later? I have learned that when you are vulnerable, do the thing that maybe isn't certain, is terrifying, and unknown, you get positive results. Example. I auditioned for a play. Long story short, I didn't make it and next thing I knew, I had depression. Almost all friends were non existent, give or take a few. Fast forward the sob story that I'm sure nobody would care to hear, let's just say many lonely nights at home and wet pillows in the middle of the night. So now here we are, a bit over a year from that day of rejection. I decide to audition for the same people for another play. I honestly did not think I would get in for so many reasons, but I practiced my guts out, went into that audition like a boss, and bam, I'm on the cast list. Needless to say I didn't do the play for certain reasons, but do you see my point?! I made myself vulnerable, and the result was no regret, even though I didn't do it in the end! Might I add, I did not get the part I originally wanted, but now I know what would have happened and I have no regret! It's magic! What did I do instead? Well, I made myself vulnerable again through my first pageant. Again, blood, sweat, and tears went into this. Did I win? Nope! Do I regret my decision to do it? Not for a second. Because I learned that when I make myself completely vulnerable, positive things happen, even if what I had hoped wasn't a result. See!?

Finally, being unapologetically you. How do you do that? Well, combine nirvana with vulnerability and you are finished. Really. How? Both nirvana and vulnerability expose. They release every insecurity, every label, every stress you may have. You work with the life God is dishing to you and you are happy about it! Imagine! A trial comes along, and instead of the poor me, selfish me, life sucks, you say bring it on! You find that you get out of the trial through helping others! You find that peace comes through helping guide others through the process of finding your true, vulnerable self! You just solved world peace right there.

Bam. There is your deep thoughts for the day. Try it out! I promise you will find positive results, but maybe not the planned ones. And most importantly, trust God.

If you want to watch those TED Talks and others that I'm sure I will be watching, go to the following link. Thanks guys!

http://mashable.com/2013/07/08/ted-talks-change-your-life/



No comments:

Post a Comment