Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Be Unapologetically You



Hi everyone! Wow a lot has happened since my last post which was a long time ago! Sorry about that! I am not doing too hot on this whole 'weekly' thing. On the bright side, I am posting more than usual which says a lot considering one post was separated a whole year to the next one... I'm not very good with consistency as you can tell... any suggestions?!




Okay, so down to the real stuff and when I say real, I mean lets talk about something less weighty than the last couple posts. Consider it my brain break for you. ;)

So, I was browsing Pinterest and if you know me,  you know I am obsessed with a capital O with Disney. If I could work as a Disney Princess or better yet, star as a new Disney Princess, can you say dream fulfilled?! Anyways, so because I love Disney so much, I obviously will have a lot of disney related feed, right? Something I frequently come across though that seems to rub me the wrong way are these gender bend/ethnicity bend stuff comes up. Now to back up before I go on, I want to say that I think Disney has done a wonderful job of creating princesses with all sorts of ethnicities and backgrounds so that it can be hard not to connect with at least one princess. If not, I promise there are more princesses to come. ;)

Needless to say, people think it is fun to see princesses 'not as perfect as Disney makes them out to be' because they give girls 'false expectations' or the 'what if Elsa was a guy' card or even 'lets make Snow White Asian, just for fun' stuff. All of this just is not okay to me. Here are some examples...



I wish this had happened. When I first heard Disney was coming out with another princess, (Rapunzel) I despirately hoped it would be a Hispanic princess. But it wasn't. I was sad.




Now some of you may not see a problem, but hear me out. Our society is always trying to 'fix' things that aren't 'real'. They don't want to offend people, which is fine, except when the non-offending is over the top... which it is. I already talked about offending people in an earlier post so I'll spare you the lecture. ;) Here is what I have to say though about those pictures above. And this is more a, be you thing.

People will always try to change you, make you into something that, frankly, you don't want to be. What I am telling you is, you may be imperfect to many, and many may say you need to change certain things about yourself. to others, you may not need to change a single thing. Here is what I say, you decide what you think you should change. If you think you should work on being more friendly, you decide. Be open to people's opinions though, it is okay to know how others see you, but take their opinions as a grain of salt, not a mountain that could crush you and ruin your day. Don't let people do to you what they have done to those princesses. BE YOU!

Check out Up With Girls and join me in helping girls who struggle with depression and anxiety. Also, please donate to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals! I need to raise $100 AT LEAST and I would love your help helping me help this children! (There's your brain cramper for the day ๐Ÿ˜‰ ) Links are below๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡


Up With Girls
https://m.facebook.com/AspiringGirls?ref=bookmark


My Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Donate Page
http://www.missamericaforkids.org/Donate/allisonlawrence





No comments:

Post a Comment